I cannot even tell you how excited I was to receive my package in the mail from my Foodie Pen Pal, Cecilia. You see, Cecilia just moved to the lovely southern city of Charleston, SC. I love charming southern cities. Though I have never been to Charleston, I have always wanted to visit. I have visited Savannah, GA a few times, and I always imagine Charleston is similar. My goodies in my Pen Pal box make me want to go there even more now. ;)
Opening this box is seriously almost like Christmas morning for me. Except in the middle of July. And I can have my "Christmas" once a month if I so choose to!
So what did Cecelia send me? Everything in my box was 100% Charleston local. :)
- A container of Benne Wafers. This may have been my favorite thing in the whole box. According to the label on the container, these little sweet crispy wafers originated in the plantation kitchens. They tasted like thin crispy sugar cookies with a little nuttiness from the sesame seeds.
- Cold Pour Pickles. Oh my, were these sour! I am pretty sure I have never had a pickle this sour in my life. And I thought they liked everything extra sweet in the South... ;)
- American Classic Tea form Charleston Tea Plantation. I immediately made a pitcher of sweet tea with this. Immediately.
- Newton Farms Lowcountry Sauce. I haven't got to try this yet, but I am looking forward to cooking up a batch of shrimp in this sauce.
- Blenheim Ginger Ale. I have not cracked this open just yet, but Cecilia assured me that it is a bit spicy. ;)
My note from Cecelia was written on the back of this awesome Piggly Wiggly bumper sticker.
Basically, Lindsay from The Lean Green Bean matches up hundreds of participants each month to be foodie penpals. On the 5th of each month, the matches are revealed. You have until the 15th of the month to get your foodie goodies together and mail them out to your penpal. (By the way, the limit for the penpal boxes is $15 so it doesn't break the bank for those of us on a budget. ;) ) On the last day of the month, you post on your blog about the amazing foodie finds you received from your penpal. That's it!
Of course there are some guidelines and rules, and you can find all of that plus how to sign up for August by clicking the giant button below.