Moist cake donuts are packed with pumpkin and then drizzled in a cinnamon glaze in these delicious Cinnamon Glazed Pumpkin Buttermilk Donuts...
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through them helps support this website.
Since becoming a self-rising flour convert last month when I made & shared with you all the recipe for these beyond amazing Easy Pumpkin Cream Biscuits, I have been on the hunt for even more fabulous fall baking recipes I could come up with using this miracle flour. I say miracle flour because for whatever reason self-rising flour produces a much more fluffier end product with an amazing texture that I was just never really able to achieve by simply sifting the flour, baking powder, and salt myself. Don't ask me why- it just must be all in the way that it is sifted at King Arthur. ;)
When I was doing my self-rising recipe research a couple of weeks ago, it occurred to me that I really don't have that many homemade donut recipes on the blog. Actually there is one to be exact- my Cinnamon-Sugar Apple Butter Donuts. I decided that it was time to change that already. Seeing as how I had some buttermilk leftover from another fabulous fall baking recipe I had been working on a few days before (stay tuned- that one will be on the blog before too long!), I knew I wanted to make a moist buttermilk cake donut. And what says fall has arrived more than pumpkin? Am I right here, folks? :) Moist cake donuts are packed with pumpkin and then drizzled in a simple cinnamon glaze in these delicious Cinnamon Glazed Pumpkin Buttermilk Donuts...
Cinnamon Glazed Pumpkin Buttermilk Donuts
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 minutes
Ingredients (12 donuts)
- 2 cups of self-rising flour (like King Arthur)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-5 tbsp of milk
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Spray the donut pan(s) with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the self-rising flour, sugars, and cinnamon. Add in the buttermilk, pumpkin puree, eggs, and vanilla. Beat with a hand mixer until just combined. The batter will be thick. Spoon the batter evenly into the donut cavities until about 2/3 full.
Bake the donuts for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the top of the donuts spring back when touched. Let cool in the pan for 4-5 minutes. Then turn the donuts out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To make the cinnamon glaze, add the powdered sugar & cinnamon to a large bowl. Whisk to mix well. Make a well in the center and add the vanilla extract and 1-2 tbsp of the milk. Stir together with a whisk. Add more milk a little at a time as needed, until a thick glaze is formed.
Leave the donuts on the wire racks, & place a large sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper under each rack. (This will make for easy clean-up after glazing the donuts.) Spoon the glaze onto the donuts, covering the top and allowing it to drip slightly down the sides. Garnish with fun fall sprinkles, if desired. Let the donuts stand on the wire racks until the glaze is set, about 30 minutes.
These donuts are best enjoyed fresh, but they can be stored up to 1-2 days in at room temperature in a loosely sealed container. (Allow some air into the container, or the donuts may become moist and sticky from the glaze.)
Recipe adapted from this one for Baked Buttermilk Doughnuts from Sprinkle Bakes.
Powered by Recipage
I mean, come on you all.... Just look at how light and fluffy and perfect the inside of these Pumpkin Buttermilk Donuts are! :)
These Cinnamon Glazed Pumpkin Buttermilk Donuts are perfect served alongside a fresh cup of coffee or with a nice chai latte. They also happen to be the perfect way to dive headfirst into your fall baking... :)
And speaking of fall baking, it's time to get yourself ready for that donut baking, apple picking, pie making goodness, my friends. And what better way to do that than with my top 5 Fall Baking Essentials?
1. Wilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack- These cooling racks are #1 on my list for fall baking essentials for a reason- you can use them for everything! From cooling cookies & pies to glazing donuts, they come in handy for all your fall baking. Plus, if you happen to have limited counter space, you can stack them right on top of each other while cooling your baked goods! :)
2. Wilton Nonstick Donut Pan- Planning on baking these Pumpkin Buttermilk Donuts? Then you need this baking pan! I would actually suggest buying two so that you can get a full dozen baked all at one time.
3. Baker's Advantage Ceramic Pie Dish- If you happen to do a lot of entertaining, hosting, or pot lucking during the fall and holiday season, then I think investing in a pretty pie dish is a must. Think of how much prettier that apple or pumpkin pie will look in this pie pan versus that plain old boring metal one. ;)
4. OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Bladed Dough Blender and Cutter- If you plan on making any homemade pie crust or biscuits, then this little contraception is a necessity. Trust me on this, folks.
5. Norpro 865 Apple Master-Apple, Potato, Parer, Slicer & Corer- This is by far the most used gadget in my kitchen during the fall. Have you ever tried to sit around and peel, core, and chop enough apples for a pie or a batch of apple butter? Put this miracle gadget in action and have those apples ready in a fraction of the time! Bonus? The older kids love manning this one for you, and it gets the whole family in on the fall baking fun. :)
What is your #1 must-have fall baking essential?
Need fall baking inspiration? Here are a few of my personal favorites... :)