My parents lost power for about 5 days. I have friends who just got their electricity restored as late as this past Friday.
Obviously I could go the survival route here, but what fun is that? I can remember as a kid and even as a young woman how fun it could actually be when the lights went out. My dad used to break out the Coleman lamp we used for camping, and then the card games would start.
So what five things should you do when the power goes out?
- Light every candle in the house! Just use a flashlight to find the matches or the lighter and that first candle, and then go completely by candlelight until the lights come back one. There is always something magical about the flickering of candlelight on the walls.
- Hurry and eat all the ice cream in the freezer! It would be a shame for all that frozen yumminess to melt into a soupy mess and go to waste, right? ;)
- Pile the pillows and the blankets on the floor in the living room for a family sleepover! (This can keep the little ones feeling less scared, especially if you have to spend the entire night in the darkness.)
- Break out the card games and the board games. Some of our favorites are Uno and Clue.
- Take this power outage as a blessing rather than a curse. This can be a great opportunity to engage with your family. No internet, no television, no video games. Just face time with those you love. <3
What are some of your favorite fun things to do when the power goes out?